- previous image next image enlarge image back
- The Flying Angel Artist (act. 1780–1811)
- Weisenberg Township, Pennsylvania
- Watercolor and ink on paper
- 13 1/4 x 16 in.
- American Folk Art Museum, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Walter L. Wolf, 2010.20.1
The term fraktur encompasses a number of embellished calligraphic forms produced within Germanic communities in America. Because they were commissioned by or received from active members of their own community, fraktur are rarely signed. However, the distinctiveness of certain artistic styles has led to the identification of individual artists or particular bodies of work. A large number of lively Taufscheine, birth and baptismal certificates, has been attributed to the Flying Angel Artist, so-called because of the humorous motif seen in the upper corners of this example and the majority of his work.
- Photo by Franklin Shores, Pennsylvania